So, are you an otaku?
Now before you answer that, think about your definition of an otaku. What is an otaku?
Japan has long considered the term as insulting or derogatory, referring to people who totally obsess themselves about something. It could be obsession to gadgets, clothing, trains and anything, but the most popular one that has gained attention all over the world is the obsession for anime.
I won’t go as far as calling it obsession though. Technological advances, cultural differences and practices have changed a lot over the course of history and the traditional way on how we define (and know) otaku may no longer be that appropriate at present (my thoughts on this one will be presented on a separate post).
But if it’s about spotting an otaku and knowing whether or not you’re a soon-to-be-member of this globally recognized group of fanatics, then you should be aware of the common symptoms!
Check if you’re guilty of the following:
1. I have an anime shirt (and I love it).
2. I cry when an awesome, anime character dies (and spend a couple of more days analyzing why the mangaka broke my heart)
3. I have an anime crush (and I secretly hoped he/she is real)
4. I buy anime stuff (that are most of the time useless)
5. I spend a lot of time watching anime (regardless of the time and electricity bills)
6. I have Japanese songs in my playlist (and sings with it even without understanding)
7. I struggle to incorporate basic Japanese expressions on daily conversation (no matter how awkward)
8. I celebrate my favorite anime character’s birthday (and sometimes decide to prepare a cake)
9. I think wearing glasses is cool (and have tried it once or twice)
10. I know Luffy, Naruto and Ichigo very well (shame to those who don’t)
11. I insist on calling it manga (those who call it comics should shut up)
12. I know the difference between anime and cartoons (Really? You don’t?)
13. I have friends who love anime (and together we speak random Japanese)
14. I can fluently talk about yaoi and yuri (like a piece of cake)
15. I go to cosplay competitions (wearing costumes/simply taking photos)
16. I can name 10 anime this instant except for Naruto, Bleach and One Piece (Can you? If so, name them on the comments!)
- Prince of Tennis
- Shingeki no Kyoujin
- Otome Yokai Zakuro
- Gundam 00
- Broken Blade
- Kamisama Hajimemashita
- Hunter X Hunter
- Kuroko no Basuke
- Blood +
- Black Blood Brothers
17. I eat Japanese foods (and say ‘Itadakimasu’ before digging in)
18. I can use chopsticks (barely or expertly, it doesn’t matter)
19. I have anime posters as my room’s wallpaper (and they’re the best!)
20. I think anime high school uniforms look great (and I want one for myself)
21. I am on an automatic heightened alert mode when I hear talks about anime (even by strangers)
22. I raise a brow when people say they hate anime (WHY?!)
23. I’m reading this post because I suspect I’m an otaku! (and proud of it!)
So….do you have the symptoms of an otaku? Look around your room, check your habits, your circle of friends and your food favorites.
Anything otaku-like? Let’s talk about them on the comments!